We, the Thermal Engineering Laboratory (TE), have an open postdoctoral position available in the research domain of CO2 capture from ambient air. The job includes the design, development, and testing of a novel lab-scale reactor with a solid sorbent for direct air capture of CO2. It captures CO2 from the ambient air and releases it as a CO2-rich gas for applications such as carbonated soft drinks. Based on the results of this mainly design/experimental work, a preliminary design of a prototype DAC system relevant to the Coca Cola European Partners (CCEP) production process has to be developed.
Project aim and description:
You will perform the design, development, , and experimental testing of a novel reactor for CO2 capture from ambient air for the CCEP production processes. Your research will include the selection of a suitable CO2 sorbent material, heat and mass transfer calculations on the novel reactor and the erection of a novel reactor at lab scale. Furthermore, you will design a preliminary prototype on the DAC system including efficient heat management, and perform a techno-economic analysis. You will also be responsible for reporting and interaction with the CCEP team as well.
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire experience in supervising MSc students.
- We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and self-driven researcher.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Process Technology, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or other relevant science, engineering, or technology subject area.
- You have expertise in the development and testing of reactors on bench scale.
- Proven experience in CO2 capture processes .
- You have skills in modeling, experimental research, and techno-economics.
- You think independently, develop creative and original work, and are a problem solver with excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You want to work in international and multi-disciplinary environments.
- You are proficient in English, both speaking and writing.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books.
- You will mainly work on research and will be engaged in developing research project proposals. You may also be engaged in teaching activities (not the main duty). You will have the possibility to extend your network
- Interesting temporary research position in a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance.
- Excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community. The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- You will be appointed to a temporary full-time Postdoc position for two years.
- Gross salary between € 2.960,- and € 4.670,- per month depending on experience and qualifications;
- Excellent benefits include a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme.
- You can make use of excellent facilities for professional and personal development and a training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision.
- You will receive good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labor agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers, and other university staff.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor's and Master's students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working? You can do this by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!