You will develop an inversion scheme to estimate watershed-wide mass fluxes, and (relative) sea level based upon weighted least squares. It will ingest data from the satellite gravity mission GRACE and its follow-on, river discharge estimates, regional sea level estimates and observed vertical land motion. The inversion scheme will have global coverage, but it will be refined in the two focus regions (North Sea and the Greater Horn of Africa) in terms of atmospheric moisture flux and river discharge across the watershed boundaries. You will work closely together with the other PhD position as the inversion scheme will be fed with datasets they produce.
- You have an MSc degree in geodesy/geomatics, civil engineering, earth sciences or a related field
- You have an interdisciplinary mindset and affinity with topics such as the large scale water cycle, sea level, inverse problems and (geodetic) earth observation techniques
- You have programming skills (python is an advantage), and are interested in geo-informatics, earth observation, cloud computing and working with spatial databases
- You value applying open science principles in your research
- You are a team worker
- You have an excellent command of English (above IELTS 7.5 or equivalent), and enjoy communicating your research to a broader audience
We offer you an inspiring multidisciplinary and challenging international and academic environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalisation is an important part of the strategic agenda. You will be employed on a fulltime basis for 4 years, with a qualifier in the first year. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO-NU) of the Dutch Universities.
- A starting salary of € 2,541.- in the first year and a salary of € 3,247.- in the fourth year gross per month;
- Tailor-made educational/development programme of at least 6 months (30EC), including visits to conferences;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- A total of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programmes;
- Costs for moving to Enschede may be reimbursed.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
About the department
The Water Resources Department of the Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) at the University of Twente, works in the domains of Water and the Environment, focusing on water, food, energy and ecosystems security and sustainability. The department uses satellite based earth observation and in-situ ground truthing in combination with hydrologic and earth systems modelling and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for the assessment and monitoring of the water, energy and biogeochemical cycles to support planning and management of water resources and freshwater and coastal ecosystems under global change.
About the organization
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation. Our mission is capacity development, where we apply, share and facilitate the effective use of geo-information and earth observation knowledge and tools for tackling global wicked problems. Our purpose is to enable our many partners around the world to track and trace the impact – and the shifting causes and frontiers – of today’s global challenges. Our vision is of a world in which researchers, educators, and students collaborate across disciplinary and geographic divides with governmental and non-governmental organisations, institutes, businesses, and local populations to surmount today’s complex global challenges and to contribute to sustainable, fair, and digital societies.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!