Designers and engineers at the Faculty of Engineering Technology of the University of Twente envision a world in which technological innovations are developed with one single purpose: to serve humanity. A world in which technology, design and engineering drive change in ways that benefit society, people and our planet. Long term effects for human wellbeing and working on societal challenges steer our work. We are looking for a versatile academic at the assistant professor level who can independently develop and advance a research line that will support the future of the field and who is an inspirational teacher in the Industrial Design Engineering (IDE) program.
In this position you will set out research lines on the impact of systems thinking in design – what systems thinking methodologies can and should we use to support societal transformations (e.g. sustainability, health and wellbeing, digitization)?
The person fulfilling this assistant professor position will have the opportunity to work with a PhD candidate on a fully funded position.
We invite inspiring, enthusiastic, innovative and entrepreneurial candidates to apply for this position. You are expected to contribute to and take responsibility for research and teaching development in the following ways:
- You work as an independent researcher who can identify academic questions related to the impact of systems thinking in design. This can be related to different societal challenges (sustainability, health & wellbeing, etc).
- You are able to bridge academic research results and practice of industrial design engineering, system design and/or design for transitions.
- You have a good track record of publishing research results in high quality international refereed journals and conferences.
- You can build relevant and necessary networks to attract external funding (national science foundation, EU, government and industry)
- You have a consistent record in teaching and in development of new courses in the area of industrial design engineering, system design, social design or other relevant fields.
- You hold a PhD in industrial design (engineering), interaction design, human computer interaction, or another field relevant to the position;
- You are an expert design researcher who can adopt and develop situated research and design methods;
- You are a passionate academic and experienced teacher in higher education or striving to become so;
- You are able to build great relationships with co-workers and practice and operate at the intersection of disciplines;
- You have good mentoring skills to supervise BSc, Msc, PDEng and PhD students;
- You have good communication skills and an excellent command of English
- A fulltime position (or 0.8 FTE) for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation
- A gross salary between € 3.974,- and € 6.181,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications. The salary is in accordance with Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme
- Professional and personal development programs
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged
- An excellent and stimulating scientific environment on an attractive and green campus with lots of facilities for sports and leisure
- The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor's and Master's students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working? You can do this by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!