Coastal zones are among the most densely populated areas in the world, with about 40% of the global population living within 100 km of the coast in the present, which is expected to grow further over the 21st century. This dynamic area is very vulnerable to sea level rise (SLR) and is especially under great threat of coastal hazards like erosion and flooding.
Many parts in the world have already been eroding and this may accelerate under climate change. Recent studies have shown that climate change will also result in an increase in the frequency of episodic flooding. However, how vulnerable the coastal zone is under these hazards remains unknown.
To assess coastal vulnerability due to erosion and/or inundation, the Coastal Vulnerability Index (CVI) is one of the simplest and most commonly used methods (Koroglu et al., 2019). An assessment of vulnerability can contribute to the decision-making process for coastal planning and management.
This PhD project aims to perform a state-of-the-art coastal vulnerability assessment for both present time and future scenarios, identify temporal pathways of CVI changes and potentially extend to detailed coastal impact assessment and reduction investigation for some hotspots using sophisticated numerical modelling approaches (e.g. Delft3D FM, PCR model, G-SMIC model) and explore ways to increase resilience at selected hotspots.
- You have MSc degree in Civil Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Earth Observation or a related discipline.
- You have knowledge or strong affinity with coastal/ocean systems.
- You have sound programming skills for data analysis (Python preferred); have experience with handling big (regional, global) data sets; numerical modelling skills are a plus.
- You have good skills with ArcGIS/QGIS.
- You have good organizational skills. You are enthusiastic, independent and have a problem solving attitude.
- You are willing to contribute to teaching in the Civil Engineering educational program and to supervise MSc students during their thesis projects.
- You have good communication and writing skills in English (IELTS >= 6.5 or equivalent). It is a plus if you have written scientific papers.
- Four-year fulltime PhD position, with a qualifier exam after 6-9 months.
- Tailor-made educational/development program of at least 6 months (30EC), including visits to conferences and summer/winter schools.
- Excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- Full status as an employee at the University of Twente, including pension and health care benefits.
- Starting salary of € 2.541 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.247 gross per month in the fourth year.
- Annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor's and Master's students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working? You can do this by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!