Controlling a wireless network so that it is always operating at its best in all possible situations is not easy. There are many correlated factors which influence network behaviour, from the transmit power, via the routing, to the application constraints; all are extremely related to the environment in which network operates, aspects such as mobility, density, connectivity and device usage impact greatly on the perceived quality of service.
This research project focuses on the creation of a distributed AI located at the edge devices and able to make local decisions which impact global performance. Specifically, the setting of a multi-technology IoT network in the health care setting represents the ideal use-case scenario to develop and test adaptive, self-configuring edge AI solutions. Cross-layer Machine Learning will be particularly investigated to create scalable solutions which can adapt each IoT device behaviour to steer the network towards desired performance towards increased reliability, decreased energy consumption and maximal data-rate.
We are seeking candidates for a fully-funded 4-year PhD position. The PhD candidate will work at the Pervasive Systems Research group, Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) at the University of Twente in the Netherlands. The prospective PhD candidate is expected to perform high quality and internationally visible research that gets published at top tier conferences and journals.
This project is in the scope of the Intelligent Secure Trustable Things (InSecTT) EU project, of which aim is to provide comprehensive cost-efficient solutions of intelligent, end-to-end secure, trustworthy connectivity and interoperability for industrial applications such as smart infrastructure, building, manufacturing, automotive, aeronautics, railway, urban public transport, maritime as well as health. The project is funded the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme, Horizon 2020. The outcomes would enable products and services based on AI compliant to European values and “Made in Europe”.
- The ideal candidate has a Master’s degree in either Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, or Mathematics.
- You have experience in telecommunication, signal processing, computer vision, embedded systems, cyber-physical-systems, data analysis, statistical analysis, machine learning and deep learning.
- You should be interested in solving analytical tasks and develop prototypes, combined with intermediate programming skills (e.g. in R, Python or C-something).
- Prior experience in generative models, transfer learning, federated learning, deep learning for embedded devices is a plus (with frameworks such as TensorFlow and Keras).
- Moreover, we are looking for a strong personality to defend your research ideas not only at university but also in an industrial context.
- You have good communication skills and you have a strong interest in operating at the crossroads of different disciplines.
- You have an excellent command of English (C1; above IELTS 7 or equivalent).
- You are able to do independent research and have publication skills.
As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the University of Twente. Your work location is Enschede, but you will spend a part of your time at the Philips offices. We offer:
- A fulltime 4-year PhD-position;
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- You are offered a professional and personal development program within the Twente Graduate School;
- A starting salary of € 2.395 gross per month in the first year and a salary of € 3.061 in the fourth-year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of fulltime employment.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies’ activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+, CTIT and MIRA.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of University Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!