Development and validation of the computational and mathematical model
- Carry out simulations to study distribution of microspheres in the liver vasculature
- Collaborate with other scientists in the project consortium
- Analyse scientific data
- Publish papers in scientific journals and participation in international meeting
You first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
You hold a master’s degree in physics or mechanical engineering with a strong background in fluid dynamics.
- You have experience in programming and preferably high performance computing.
- You are excited by the idea of impacting patient’s lives using engineering.
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- You envision yourself working in an interdisciplinary and international environment.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a 4 year fulltime position
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A starting salary of € 2.395 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.061 gross per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
Each year, over 1.5 million people worldwide develop primary or secondary (metastatic) liver cancer. Liver tumors are characterised by their limited treatment options and the relatively high 1-year mortality. Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT), also called radioembolization, is a treatment option for patients suffering from liver tumors that do not benefit from conventional therapy such as surgery or chemotherapy. During the treatment, radioactive microspheres are injected into the liver artery that supplies the tumor, where they lodge in and around the tumor and deliver a high local radiation dose. A crucial aspect to obtain an optimal treatment result is an effective distribution of the microspheres in the vascular network of the liver.
Computational modeling has evolved as a useful tool that can help in understanding optimal distribution of microspheres, among other aspects. In this project, funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) we will develop a particle transport model within the lattice Boltzmann framework Musubi to study the optimal microsphere distribution using simulations on high performance supercomputers. The PhD candidate will actively collaborate with two other PhD students in this project involved in experimental and clinical aspects. Collaboration and exchange with hospitals like the Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen, the Multi-Modality Medical Imaging group and Physics of Fluids group at the University of Tw
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of The University Of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!