The Services and Cybersecurity (SCS) group at the University of Twente invites applications for a 4-year PhD position in evidence-based security response.
In this PhD project, we will investigate ways to automatically collect relevant evidence of an ongoing attack in order to detect it, to assess its impact and, eventually, to decide on how to respond to it. An example of relevant evidence for an attack can be a detected anomaly in a monitored IT infrastructure. In order to decide whether the anomaly is part of an attack, we require more evidence such as whether it shows similar behavior to anomalies produced by previously seen attacks. We will research different methods (particularly based on Machine Learning) for the automated collection of relevant evidence associated with a particular attack and, based on it, for the (semi-)automated analysis of the evidence to determine the impact of the attack and to provide associated mitigation and response strategies. The offered PhD position is part of a joint research project with TU Eindhoven and the security company Bitdefender.
The prospective PhD candidate is expected to perform high quality and internationally visible research that gets published at some of the top security conferences and journals. The candidate will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Willem Jonker, Dr. Andreas Peter, and Dr. Andrea Continella from the Services and Cybersecurity (SCS) group (www.utwente.nl/scs) of the University of Twente. The candidate will be appointed for a period of four years, at the end of which he/she delivers a PhD thesis. During this period, the PhD student has the opportunity to broaden his/her knowledge by joining international exchange programs, to participate in national and international conferences and workshops, and to visit other research institutes and universities worldwide.
- You are highly motivated and an enthusiastic researcher (f/m/d)
- You have a MSc degree with excellent grades in computer science, or similar; applications from students who are about to finish their MSc degree studies will be considered as well
- You are interested in the domain of cybersecurity and particularly have a solid background in network and system security; some good background in machine learning and prior experience with writing scientific papers are of additional advantage
- You are curious and interested in learning how things work and how to make them better
- You are an independent and original thinker with a creative mindset
- You have good analytical and communication skills
- You have a good team spirit and like to work in an internationally oriented environment
- You are fluent in English
- A game-based assessment may be a part of the selection procedure
The offered PhD position is in the context of the SeReNity project funded by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) in collaboration with the security company Bitdefender and TU Eindhoven.
- As a PhD student at the UT, you will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating scientific environment;
- The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues;
- Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a salary ranging from around € 2.395,- gross per month at the start to around € 3.061,- in the fourth year;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme;
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+, CTIT and MIRA.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!