The main objective of the ERC-funded project CAESAR is to marry the historically separated fields of safety (no disruption due to unintended failures) and security (no malicious attacks). Despite their historic separation, safety and security are heavily intertwined. A simple example: locking your door at night, is great for security against burglars, but bad for safety in case of fire.
The Formal Methods and Tools (FMT) research group has a opening for a PhD student. You will be working on the ERC-funded project CAESAR: integrating safety and cybersecurity through stochastic model checking.
Next to the main objective the goal of the CAESAR project is to develop an effective framework for the joint analysis of safety and security risks. In this way, safety-security decision making will become more accountable, i.e., more systematic, transparent and quantitative. The core scientific objectives are concerned with integral safety-security modelling; analysis via stochastic model checking; and risk quantification under uncertainty via fuzzy logic, Bayesian reasoning and Dempster-Schafer theory.
We are with five members in the CAESAR team: two PhD students, two postdocs and one scientific programmer. More information about the project: https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/fmt/research/projects/caesar/
- Present (preliminary) results at appropriate meetings and conferences.
- Publish results in scientific workshops, conference proceedings, and journals.
- Contribute to teaching on topics related to your work
- You will perform daily PhD-level research and educational activities, cooperate and exchange knowledge within the research team.
- Be a part of an excellent and internationally renowned research group; our institute was ranked first in the latest research assessment.
We are looking for enthusiastic candidate with a degree in Computer Science, or Mathematics with a demonstrable interest in computer science.
- You’re a highly motivated and enthusiastic researcher.
- You have a MSc in Mathematics or Computer Science.
- You have a thorough theoretical background, e.g. in formal methods.
- You have experience with experience with at least one of the fields of safety, security, stochastic model checking, uncertainty frameworks.
- You’re an independent and original thinker with a creative mindset.
- You have excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Interested in teaching at university level.
We offer an inspiring multidisciplinary and international academic environment that focuses on building a safer, smarter, and more sustainable Dutch and European society. The university is the heart of a dynamic and vibrant ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of our strategic agenda.
You will be employed fulltime for four years. Your salary and working conditions will be in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO-NU) of the Dutch Universities.
- A starting salary of € 2,395.00 in the first year and a salary of € 3,061 in the fourth year, gross per month.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 29 leave days in case of fulltime employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A fulltime employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Costs for moving to Enschede may be reimbursed.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of University Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!